We are in the midst of planning and developing the release of NYCityMap 3.0. The current version, launched in 2010, has had a good run but is showing its age and is in need of a refresh.
As we often try to gather feedback from our audience, this blog post is intended to lay out the basic objectives and to solicit feedback. Follow up posts will be more targeted towards extracting specific input through the use of polls and other online tools.
The basic objectives of the update project are:
- Responsive design supporting mobile devices;
- Simplify user interface/presentation of data;
- Include appropriate existing functionality;
- Ability to easily update and publish data (for us);
- Provide a gateway to other mapping applications within NYC;
- Move away from custom code and leverage a more complete open source solution.
Below are some preliminary screens using OpenLayers 3.0 with tiles generated from ArcGIS Server.
Feel free to comment on this post and send along your feedback on how you would like to see NYCityMap evolve.